JOB TITLE: Care Manager
Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services related field and at least two years of relevant experience in providing direct treatment services, assessment, advocacy and crisis management.
Case Management experience in a mental health or hospital setting preferred. Some working knowledge of Criminal Justice System and legal process a plus. A vehicle, valid NY State Driver’s License and a driving record acceptable to the TSA Automotive Vehicle Program are required. Must be willing and able to safely perform driving responsibilities as assigned. Computer experience required.
PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS: The Care Manager must work well independently as well as with Care Management staff and be able to implement program policies and procedures. The Care Manager must have excellent organizational and time management skills, consistent follow through and strong attention to detail. The Care Manager must function as a team player.
SCOPE: The Care Manager reports to the Program Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Care Manager will have a broad range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- May include intake meetings and visits at State Psychiatric facilities, inpatient Mental Health Units, and Correctional facilities.
- Conduct comprehensive assessments and develop person-centered plans of care
- Provide liaison services to hospitals, primary care doctors, outpatient mental health providers, and community support services for medical, behavioral, social and housing needs
- Advocate with appropriate agencies and assist members with scheduling and coordinating services
- Monitor, evaluate and record client progress in a computer database and perform annual reassessments.
- Meet accurate and timely reporting requirements pursuant to Health Home standards
- Comply with confidentiality laws governed by the Health Home consent form, NYS and HIPAA
- Provide crisis intervention and crisis management
- Provide supportive counseling for each member
- Maintain up to date knowledge of all rules, guidelines, policies and procedures of all applicable Health Homes and all regulatory oversight agencies
- Carry on-call responsibility as assigned
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Program Director or Executive Director
- Computer literacy and ability to work within a Windows electronic health record format
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently and identify and resolve problems in a timely fashion
- Ability to work cooperatively with program staff, service providers and referral sources
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Familiarity with and the ability to access community resources and service
- Ability to provide strength-based, person-centered proactive care coordination
Familiarity with and sensitivity to specialized needs of people with chronic mental and/or medical illnesses