Sponsored by TSA Inc., Progressive Steps Apartment Program is a single and scattered site apartment program designed to provide support services to 34 men and women who evidence varying degrees of psychiatric disabilities. Twelve of these beds are located in a Single Site location in order to provide increased assistance to residents who require additional support. Eight beds are designated for people with mental illness and chemical addiction (MICA). The program currently operates single, double, and triple occupancy apartment sites within the Saratoga Springs city limits.
We provide counseling, supervision and instruction to enhance each resident’s skill level in the area of adaptive daily living, as well as personal and interpersonal functioning. Staff contact is regularly scheduled dependent on the needs of the individual resident.
The goal of the program is to assist each resident in transitioning to the least restrictive environment of independent living. The expected length of stay is one to two years.
Core Services: Progressive Steps provides the following services to residents of the program:
- On-Site Visitation – Each resident is visited by a staff member at his/her apartment. The number of visits is based on individual need and program level.
- 24-Hour On-Call Service – A staff member is available by beeper at all times to assist residents in emergency situations.
- Furnished Apartment – Completely equipped with furnishings and appliances, each apartment is clean, tidy, and safe. Utility services are paid by Progressive Steps
- Individualized Service Planning – We use a goal-oriented approach to problem resolution in assisting each resident to develop specific goals for himself/herself and to achieve them.
- Individual and Group Counseling – Program staff help facilitate personal growth, problem resolution and adjustment to community living through individual and group counseling.
- Independent Living Skills Training – Individual and group training is provided to develop the skills and activities necessary to live as independently as possible. These skills include budgeting and money management, personal hygiene, utilization of community resources, home maintenance, etc.
- Money Management – Each resident receives a monthly allowance for personal needs.
- Service Coordination – Progressive Steps complements its program services by linking each resident to appropriate community and social services. This ensures maximum access to community resources.
- Social/Recreational Activities – Activities are planned regularly throughout the week. Residents are encouraged to attend community and program specific events. Membership to the local fitness center is provided.
Program Residents: The Progressive Steps Apartment Program is designed to serve adults with mental illness.
Residents may be graduates of community residence programs, persons being discharged from psychiatric centers, or individuals living in the community who have repeated difficulties with living independently and require support and assistance. Each resident is expected to maintain a regular daily schedule, which may include employment, school, day treatment, sheltered workshop or volunteer work.
Referral Information: The Progressive Steps Apartment Program accepts referrals from hospitals, mental health practitioners, social service agencies, relatives and directly from prospective clients. Residents must have a primary psychiatric diagnosis and be willing to participate in a rehabilitative program designed to provide counseling and to improve independent living skills.
Program Fees and Licensing: There is a monthly fee for program services which most residents pay with income received through federal, state and local entitlement programs. Case managers and program staff are available to assist with the application of benefits and to answer questions.
Progressive Steps Apartment Program is licensed and partially funded by the New York State Office of Mental Health.